holding to the rod

view more photos from this shoot here


Working part-time at a life science museum is great. I get the opportunity to see many children, youth groups, and families come to appreciate the animals that we have in the museum.
Just recently, a little girl walked into the store and began to look around, touching everything that looked even remotely interesting. After a while of browsing all the shiny and bright colored items in the store, she realized that she had lost her mother.
Jokingly, she laughed, "I don't know where my momma is," but even as she said it, she looked a little nervous. After saying this a few times and looking around frantically, she shouted, "Mom! Momma!! MOM!!!"


After watching this little girl lose sight of her mother and try to find her way back, I was reminded of an experience I had at girls camp.


A couple of years ago, my stake put together an iron rod activity that each young woman was able to take part in. Before it started, there was no instruction on what the activity was or what we were supposed to do. I was blindfolded and my hands were placed on the 'iron rod', or the railing which followed the trail. The journey was made in complete darkness.

I would hear things like
I have a glow stick, just follow my voice and I'll give you one. they're really fun! 
Someone threw up on the trail in front of you. come towards me and I'll guide you around it. 
There is a huge stump in front of you. let go of the path for a second so I can help you get over it.

These voices were extremely tempting because I had no idea if they were being honest or not. But I decided to ignore them and kept a firm grip on the iron rod. Every once in a while, a reassuring voice said sweetly, you are doing great. I love you. keep going, and you'll get there soon.
When I reached the end of the iron rod, the blind fold was removed, and I was led through a curtain to a truly beautiful sight. Before me, there was a tree, illuminated brighter than the darkness around it. I walked down to the tree and saw the bishopric members, congratulating my friends and I for making it to the tree safely. Lanterns which were made prior to the activity were handed each of us, glowing with a little light.

When I got to the end of the path, I was so grateful that I hadn't loosened my grip of the rod and wandered off the path. Although the words that were said to me seemed really appealing and for my genuine safety, I somehow knew that I wanted to hold onto the rod.


Remembering this experience I had and watching this little girl struggle to find her mom made me ask myself some questions.


How often do I let go of my Savior's hand and wander off to look at new and interesting things? And how often do I find that I become lost and confused once I find that I am no longer with Him?
More importantly, how can I make sure to hold onto the iron rod with all my might?


Personally, these are the things I've found that bring me closer to the Savior:
-prayer
-having a genuine love for the people around me (this is hard)
-scripture study
-self love
-trying to be my best self every day
-the temple
-taking care of my body
-listening to the spirit
-finding an act of service to do everyday

1 comment:

what's on your mind?