facing fears aka the concerto concert

One of my goals for all the time is to face fears.
I'm afraid of a lot of things. Trying new things, putting myself out there, failing in front of people, not doing things that I love, and the list goes on.
But a few months ago I took the plunge and decided to face my fear of playing trumpet in front of people. When I was deciding whether or not to participate in the concerto concert, I remembered volunteering for a solo in jazz band in 9th grade. I had no idea how to solo or what notes to play, but I raised my hand and went for it. It was terrifying. I was shaking before and after I played it! There was practically no one in the audience, but that didn't matter. I was still deathly afraid.
Three years later, I wouldn't think that I would be volunteering again to play a solo in front of a crowd. This time, it was purely a piece where I solo the whole time and the band plays in the background. I knew that I wouldn't be the best performer in the concert, but I still wanted to do it to prove to myself that I could do it. I chose the piece Trumpeters Lullaby because my dad loves that song and I love it cause he loves it.
We practiced all six concertos everyday in band class. I wasn't nervous in front of the band, but for the concert, man I was terrified.
I played my solo and didn't do as well as I wanted to (but really, who does their best when they're nervous?) and sat down and couldn't believe that I just did that!

I'm proud of myself, and I don't care who knows it. Yay for facing fears.

1 comment:

  1. Gah that is AMAZING! One of the fears I want to face this year is letting other people read my novel (once I'm finished writing and editing, that is). I am TERRIFIED to be critiqued and have people hate it. But I want to be published more than anything. Gotta face that fear sometime.

    ReplyDelete

what's on your mind?